- The easiest way to change the Wi-Fi on your Alexa smart speaker is using the Alexa app.
- Amazon’s Alexa-enabled devices, such as the Echo and the Echo Dot, do not have an ethernet port so they rely on Wi-Fi to function.
- You will need physical access to your Amazon device and the password for the Wi-Fi network you’re trying to connect to.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Amazon’s Alexa-enabled smart speakers, such as the Echo and Echo Dot, have made it easy to listen to everything from your favorite music to your favorite radio stations and podcasts.
However, they need Wi-Fi in order to work, so knowing how to set up and change the Wi-Fi network on your Alexa device is very important.
Here’s how to do it.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Amazon Echo (From $99.99 at Amazon)
Amazon Echo Dot (From $49.99 at Amazon)
Iphone 11 (From $699.99 at Apple)
Samsung Galaxy S10 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
How to change the Wi-Fi on your Alexa device
1. Open your Alexa app on your iPhone or Android. If you don’t already have the Alexa app, you have to download it and connect it to your Alexa account.
2. Tap on “Devices” in the bottom-right corner.
3. Tap on your device. In this example, it’s an Echo, so I’ll tap the Echo and Alexa icon.
4. Tap on the Wi-Fi network and then tap on “Change.”
5. A screen will ask if your Echo is plugged in and displaying an orange light.
6. If it isn’t displaying an orange light, push and hold the Action button on your device until the orange light turns on. The button is the one with a dot on it.
7. Once your device is in pairing mode, as signified by the orange light, your app should now show a list of Wi-Fi networks. Tap the one that you want to use. You will have to authenticate it by typing in the network’s password.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to play Apple Music using Alexa on your Amazon Echo speaker
How to add Pandora to Alexa on your Amazon Echo speaker
You can’t change Alexa’s name on your Amazon device, but you can change its ‘wake word’ — here’s how
How to connect your Spotify account to Alexa on your Amazon smart speaker
How to connect Alexa to a Roku device, so you can control your Roku with voice commands